Thursday, October 22, 2009

We're all P. Diddy, Gwen Stefani, and Sean White


America is obsessed with stardom. Fame is bought and sold as if it could be found on the stock exchange. There are the famous people who have an amazing amount of talent, or are athletic, or are smart. There are even those that have been ranked by TMZ for being famous without any talent.

What most of these people can show us though is how to cross market ourselves. I remember hearing a story once from a photographer who had shot Cindy Crawford. He said at certain times she'd start talking in the third person. I laughed and thought, "what's next, her using the royal 'We' to talk about herself." But he said she wasn't being vain. When she said, "this isn't right for Cindy Crawford" she was talking about her brand not herself as a person.
That's the crucial point of view.

P.Diddy capitalized on his fame with a restaurant, clothing line, countless TV shows, a marathon run, and more. Gwen Stefani decided to try her hand at fashion design and a fragrance. Sean White now has a music album on top of his clothing line, snow boards, and video games. Can The Flying Tomato sing? You tell me because there's no way I'm buying that album to find out.

Now, I can't see my plumber, as talented as he is at fixing hot water heaters, coming out with a line of high heel shoes. But I can see him doing YouTube videos on his other passion, fishing. He's a funny guy, I would read his blog. Is there room in a crawl space to twitter? I don't know, but my point is, you don't have to be famous to put yourself out there. No it may not go anywhere, but it will at least give you a chance to explore who you are in different settings.

Just an idea. That is all David Cohen has to say about that.

No comments: